• Start with fresh, cold milk, straight from the fridge.
• Wet a small pot or double broiler with water before adding the milk. (This prevents scorching.)
• Stir constantly while you're warming the milk.
• Don't bring the milk to a full boil.
• When the milk is hot, pour your New Orleans coffee and milk into cups simultaneously, in equal parts. (This is the traditional New Orleans way, plus it looks impressive and "stirs" the mixture for you.)
If you're short on time or simply aren't feeling up to doing this, you can add regular old half-and-half instead... but I think you'll find that the hot, rich, creamy beverage you get this way is worth the extra effort!
Photo (c) Lindsey Goodwin