A percolator is not the best way to brew coffee, because you should never use boiling water. But sometimes this method can be handy.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Fill urn with water for the number of cups of coffee you want.
- Place coffee grounds in the basket. 1 tbs per cup of water.
- Fit basket into the urn and place on stovetop.
- Heat the water to boiling.
- The boiling water will be forced up through the coffee grounds and the brewed coffee will accumulate in the urn
- Watch the coffee bubble up through the glass dome to measure how dark (strong) it's getting.
- Brewing should take about 5 minutes.
- Remove the filter basket with the used grounds and pour.
- Using a percolator is not an ideal method for making coffee.
- Works well over a campfire.
- Use coarsely ground coffee.