For a caffeine-free chai latte, use a caffeine-free, rooibos-based chai in lieu of the usual black tea chais.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup pure coconut milk (preferably fresh from a coconut)
- (Optional) a few drops of pure vanilla extract or 1/4 vanilla pod, with seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons rooibos chai blend, such as the "tea" blend (technically a tisane) in this rooibos chai recipe
- Agave nectar or palm sugar, to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring the water and coconut milk to a rolling boil.
- As the mixture is coming to a boil, add the vanilla extract or vanilla pod (if desired).
- Stir in the rooibos chai, then reduce the heat to medium or medium-low.
- Simmer the mixture for five to seven minutes, stirring occasionally and moderating the heat level as needed.
- Strain the mixture into a teapot.
- Sweeten to taste.
- (Optional) Add extra sweetener and pour over crushed ice. (Chilling beverages makes them taste less sweet, so adding a little extra agave nectar or palm sugar will ensure that the cold chai is sweetened to your taste.)
- (Optional) Froth the mixture with an espresso machine's steam wand or with a handheld frothing utensil.
- Serve in two to three cups and enjoy.