Green cardamom is one of the world's most expensive spices by weight. It is sold as whole pods, broken or crushed pods, seeds only (which are contained in the pods) and ground / powdered form.
Types of Cardamom
The main type of cardamom variety is green cardamom (a.k.a. Elettaria or true cardamom). It is used in sweet and savory foods. Green cardamom has a thin, papery, green pod filled with small, blackish seeds.
The less common type of cardamom is black cardamom (a.k.a. Amomum, brown cardamom, kravan, Java cardamom, Bengal cardamom or Siamese cardamom). It is often used in biryani and other savory dishes. It has a thick, large, rough, blackish-brown pod filled with black seeds. It smells smokier and, some say, tastes more minty than green cardamom.
Both types of cardamom are part of the Zingiberaceae (ginger) family.
Cardamom Pods vs. Ground Cardamom
Cardamom starts to lose its flavor and aroma as soon as it is ground, so it tastes much better if you buy cardamom pods and cook with the whole / crushed pods or grind them yourself. If you'd like to grind your own cardamom, try this cardamom grinding trick.
Cardamom is used in many different types of foods and drinks around the world. Although its early history kept it around India, the Middle East and Greece, it has since become a popular spice in many parts of the world, particularly around Christmastime, when it is used in recipes for cakes, cookies and other goodies. Here is a sampling of recipes that are flavored with cardamom:
- Cardamom Herbal Chai Recipe
- Masala Chai Recipes
- Thai Tea Recipe
- Spiced Turkish Coffee Recipe
- Turkish Coffee Recipe
- Cappuccino Tapioca Pudding with Cardamom Brûlée Recipe
- Cardamom Coffee Mousse Recipe
- Rose-Walnut-Cardamom Scones Recipe
- Cardamom Coffee Cake Recipe
- Julekake (Norwegian Christmas Bread) Recipe
- Middle Eastern Carrots With Cardamom
- Hab el hal (Middle Eastern Cardamom Cookies) Recipe
- Garam Masala (Indian Spice Mixture) Recipe
- Gulab Jamun (Indian Sweet Dumplings) Recipe
- Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding) Recipe
- Cardamom Simple Syrup Recipe
- Scandinavian Cardamom Waffles Recipe
- Cinnamon & Cardamom Buns Recipe
- Cardamom-Pear Sorbet Recipe
- German Cardamom Christmas Cookies Recipe
- Cardamom Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Cardamom Applesauce Recipe