Tired of the same old Earl Grey, Chai and Matcha chocolates on the market, California businesses Charles Chocolates and Teance paired up to create this stellar collection of tea-infused chocolate truffles. With premium chocolates and artisan teas (including Formosa Baochong and Charcoal-Fired Oolong), this is truly a connoisseur's tea chocolate.
Packaging & Appearance
In both styles of packaging, the truffles are individually screen printed with Chinese characters indicating which type of tea was infused into the ganache. My only complaint about this product is that there isn't a key on the box to translate which chocolates are which. However, there is a PDF on Charles Chocolates' website that has information about flavors and more.
- Lichee: A naturally lychee-flavored Chinese black tea creates an accessible yet nuanced base for this truffle. Honeyed, tropical fruit and flower tones soar above the flavor of quality dark chocolate. Rich aromas fade into a long, nectarous finish. Personally, I'm not a big fan of lychees, but this is undeniably delicious.
- Jasmine: The classic, jasmine-scented Chinese green tea at the base of this truffle is far better quality than your average jasmine tea. This quality level makes all the difference in the final product. Instead of coming across as astringent, the blend is decadent, sumptuous and dark.
- Formosa Baochong: This lightly oxidized Taiwanese oolong creates a seductively sophisticated tea lover's chocolate. The abundant creamy, floral and leafy green tones of Formosa Baochong are perfectly balanced with the chocolate for a remarkably complex flavor.
- Charcoal-Fired Oolong : An artisanal Taiwanese dark roast oolong gives this truffle the darkest of all the flavors in the collection. The roasted notes are sure to please oolong lovers, coffee drinkers, dark chocolate fans and, especially, anyone who likes coffee chocolates.
- Osmanthus: The base of this truffle is Chinese oolong that has been scented with osmanthus blossoms. Its enchanting floral tones are sweeter and simpler than the Jasmine flavor, but also incredibly easy to enjoy. Its decadent finish of caramel sweetness and dark chocolate is perfect for those new to tea chocolates.