The winner of the November/December 2010 "Holiday Tea
Cocktail" tea recipe contest
is a blend of caffeine
-based masala chai
, Gala apple and Square One Vodka from Elixir
in San Francisco. Guest judge (and About.com Cocktails guide) Colleen Graham
said, "The apple and chai are a perfect combination and the agave nectar brings it all together. I love the idea (which we've been seeing a little more lately) of infusing vodka with tea." I preferred the recipe with a slightly longer steeping time, but Chris Cason of Tavalon
and I both loved the texture of this enticing (and organic) holiday tea cocktail.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: One serving
- 1.5 oz Square One Organic Vodka infused with Numi Organic Ruby Chai Tea (or similar rooibos chai blend)
- 1.5 oz Organic apple cider
- 0.5 oz Organic agave nectar
- 1/4 organic Gala apple, plus a slice for garnish (Use a Gala apple for the best texture.)
- In a glass container add 750ml bottle of Square One and 6 bags of Numi Ruby Chai Tea. Let infuse for 1-2 hours (or up to 3 hours for a fuller flavor). Remove bags and squeeze out excess vodka.
- Cut one quarter of the apple into pieces, removing the seeds and core.
- In a mixing glass or bar shaker, muddle the apple slices into an applesauce-like consistency.
- Add agave nectar, Square One, cider and ice to the glass or shaker.
- Shake for 10 seconds and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. (The head should be frothy and creamy.
- Garnish with an apple slice.