Like burritos or tacos, ochazuke's ingredients can be prepared in batches and then individuals can customize their own servings.
Making ochazuke is a great way to use up leftover rice, vegetables and other foods that might be hanging out in your fridge.
All the measurements below are flexible, so feel free to change them according to your personal preferences!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 cup steamed rice (preferably brown rice or sushi rice, though any kind will do)
- 1 cup brewed sencha or genmaicha Japanese green tea
- Assorted toppings, such as steamed or sauteed vegetables, seafood, tofu (diced or fried), tempeh, seaweed flakes, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, pickled vegetables, toasted sesame seeds or savory seasonings
- A splash of soy sauce or shoyu (optional)
- Place rice into a bowl.
- Add hot tea.
- Top with additional ingredients and seasonings to taste.