Guest judge David Barenholtz of American Tea Room strongly recommended letting the mock-sangria mixture refrigerate overnight for a more developed flavor. Chris and I agreed, so I've incorporated the idea into the recipe below.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Steep time: 12 hours
Total Time: 12 hours, 10 minutes
Yield: Approx. six cups
- 3 cups water
- 6 tsp. green tealeaves (Cason recommends a Chinese green tea from Fujian, China)
- 1 sliced Granny Smith apple
- 3 cups ice cubes
- Several sliced citrus fruits, such as lemons, limes or oranges
- Honey (to taste)
- Bring the water to a boil and then allow it to cool for several minutes.
- Steep the tea in a pot for the recommended amount of brewing time.
- Line the bottom of an 8-cup pitcher with the apple slices.
- Add the ice cubes and tea.
- Top the mixture with sliced citrus fruit.
- Cover the pitcher and refrigerate it overnight.
- Add honey to taste.
- Add more ice before serving if desired.