Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 36 finger sandwiches
- 1/4 to 1/2 white wine vinegar
- 1 thinly sliced English cucumber (peeling is optional)
- 1 loaf white bread (such as buttermilk bread)
- Softened butter, or softened herbed butter prepared with mint, chives, cilantro, parsley, dill, tarragon and/or rosemary (Softened butter is far, far easier to spread on white bread than cold butter, so make sure to use butter that has been at room temperature for a few hours.)
- (Optional) sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a shallow bowl, allow the cucumber slices to soak in the vinegar for about 30 minutes. (This step will improve their texture and add flavor.)
- Drain the cucumbers and pat them dry with a clean dish towel or paper towel.
- For every two slices of bread, spread both slices evenly and thinly with butter or herbed butter.
- Cover one side of the sandwich with sliced cucumber in one to two layers.
- Season with lemon juice and spices/herbs.
- Put the slices together, cut off the crusts and slice the sandwich diagonally two times to create four triangle-shaped finger sandwiches.