Pumpernickel is a traditional bread for smoked salmon tea sandwiches, but you can also use whole grain, whole wheat or other types of bread if you'd prefer.
This smoked salmon finger sandwich recipe
features the bold flavors of dill and horseradish. Pair it with an equally bold tea, such as Russian Caravan or a smoked Lapsang Souchong.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 32 finger sandwiches
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 tbsp peeled and finely chopped horseradish root
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green onion, chives or parsley
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or mayo alternative
- 8 slices pumpernickel or whole grain bread
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced smoked salmon
- Stir the herbs and mayo together in a small bowl.
- Spread a thin layer of butter onto four of the slices of bread.
- Add a thin layer of the mayo mixture on top of the butter.
- Top with a layer of smoked salmon.
- Place the remaining bread slices on top of the salmon.
- Slice off the bread crusts and slice each sandwich twice, diagonally, to make four small finger sandwiches from each two slices of bread.