For an added treat, partner Pumpkin Scones with lemon curd, clotted cream, Devonshire cream or cinnamon butter.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes
Yield: 6 large or 12 small scones
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, plus 12 for garnish
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (preferably coconut palm sugar or light brown sugar)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cold, unsalted cup butter
- 1/3 cup raisins (sultanas)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cooked, pureed eating pumpkin (not decorative) or 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin (no added ingredients)
- About 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, toast the pecans until lightly browned, reserving 12 pecans for garnish.
- Mix together flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter. The mixture is done when it resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Chop the toasted pecans, reserving the 12 untoasted pecans for garnish.
- Stir in the raisins and pecans, and then stir in the vanilla extract.
- With minimal stirring, mix in the pumpkin puree, then mix in just enough milk to make the dough stick together. It will be crumbly and there should still be a little bit of dry flour left in the mixing bowl.
- Turn the dough out on a heavily floured cutting board.
- Knead the dough for about a minute. When it is done, it should be easy to handle and smooth.
- Shape the dough into one to two fairly flat rounds, about one-inch to 1.5-inches tall, patting them gently until they are the desired shape.
- Cut the scones into wedges. (There will be six to 12 scones, depending on how large you prefer your scones to be and how many rounds you made with the dough.)
- Transfer the scones to a buttered baking sheet, sprinkle them with pumpkin pie spice, and top each scone with a single pecan half.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. (Optional: Turn pan halfway through baking.)
- Cool on the baking sheet.