For an added treat, serve Vegan Coconut Scones with jam and coffee or one of my top ten teas for afternoon tea.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 scones
- 4 c. all purpose flour, plus extra for kneading the dough (For best results, sift or spoon the flour into the measuring cup.)
- 1.5 c. sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 c. (8 tsp.) virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- About 1.5 c. almond milk, soymilk or other milk substitute
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, coconut, sugar, baking powder and salt).
- Use your hands or a spoon to mix in the virgin coconut oil.
- Add the vanilla extract and then slowly mix in the almond milk or other milk substitute, working the dough as little as possible, until you have a dough that just barely sticks together.
- Turn the dough out on a heavily floured cutting board.
- Knead the dough slightly. When it is done, it should be easy to handle and smooth.
- Gently pat the dough to two 1.5–inch thick discs.
- Cut each disc into 6 pieces.
- Transfer the scones to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- (Optional) For lighter, fluffier scones, place the baking sheet into the freezer for about five minutes immediately before baking.
- Bake the scones in a preheated 400-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden. (Optional: Turn pan halfway through baking.)
- Cool on the baking sheet.