Try these watercress egg salad tea sandwiches with lightly peppery or spicy black teas, such as First Flush Darjeelings, Yunnans or Ceylons.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 16 tea sandwiches
- 4 eggs
- 4 Tbsp. softened herbed butter, prepared with herbs such as chives, parsley and mint, or softened plain butter
- 4 Tbsp. mayonnaise or mayo alternative
- Sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper and paprika (preferably smoked paprika), to taste
- 8 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup fresh, chopped watercress
- (Optional) fresh, chopped parsley, to taste
- Hard boil the eggs, rinsing with cold water when they are done.
- While the eggs are still warm, peel them and mash them with the butter and using a potato masher or a fork.
- Stir the mayo and spices into the egg mixture.
- Spread the egg salad onto two slices of bread.
- Add the watercress (and, optionally, the parsley).
- Top the watercress with the remaining two slices of bread.
- Remove the crusts and slice the sandwiches two times, diagonally, to make four tea sandwiches from each large sandwich.