No matter what you call it, caramel sauce has never been easier to make than with this no-hassle recipe. Just boil a can of sweetened condensed milk, let it cool and you're done!
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
For thick Dulce de Leche: 3 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 32 minutes
Yield: 14 ounces
- 1-14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- Place the can of sweetened condensed milk in a large pot.
- Cover the can completely with water and place a lid on the pot.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Boil the water for 90 minutes (for thinner Dulce de Leche) to 3 hours (for thick, hard Dulce de Leche). Top the water up as needed, making absolutely sure not to let the water level drop below the top of the cam. WARNING: Allowing air to reach the super-heated can may cause it to explode. Keep the water level high at all times.
- Turn the heat off and allow the water (and can) to cool overnight.
- When the can has cooled completely, open it to use immediately, or store it up to one year for use at a later date.
- Spread it on toast for a traditional South American coffee accompaniment, use it for alfajores (South American cookies) or add a dollop to coffee for a sweet, creamy coffee drink.