You can make a drink akin to Tia Maria or Kahlua at home. This coffee liqueur
recipe is easily customized to personal tastes by varying the level of coffee
, sugar or vanilla. It's also less expensive than store-bought coffee liqueurs.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: Ten two-ounce servings
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 two-inch piece of vanilla bean
- 8 tablespoons quality instant coffee
- 750 mL bottle (a "fifth") of rum (for a taste like Tia Maria) or vodka (for a taste like Kahlua)
- Combine the vanilla bean, sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Boil until the volume has been cut in half, or about 30 minutes.
- Add 8 tablespoons quality instant coffee and allow the mixture to cool.
- In a sealable glass jar or bottle, combine the simple syrup (sugar solution) and rum or vodka. Shake well and let sit in a cool, dark area for 10 days.
- After 10 days, strain the liqueur through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Store in a sealed liquor bottle.