This dark chocolate ginger
orange hot cocoa recipe
hot cocoa recipe is spiced with orange zest and ginger root for a dazzlingly bold flavor. Serve in small glasses or mugs -– a little goes a long way!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Two to four servings
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. peeled, chopped fresh ginger root
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- The zest of 1/2 orange (preferably organic; be sure to avoid grating the white pith of the orange)
- 4 tbsp. unsweetened, extra dark cocoa powder (available from Hershey’s and other brands)
- 1 cup milk (or milk substitute)
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine the brown sugar, ginger root, orange zest and vanilla extract in a small food processor. Blend for one minute, stirring if needed.
- Add the cocoa powder and continue to blend until the mixture is even. If needed, periodically stop blending, allow the powder to settle and stir the mixture with a spoon before resuming the blending.
- Combine the milk and water in a small pot. Warm on low heat over the stove.
- As the milk-water mixture warms to a simmer, begin to add small quantities of it to the cocoa mixture. Add about 1 tsp. liquid at a time, stirring well before adding more.
- Once your cocoa has become a thin paste, very slowly stir it into the simmering liquid.
- Once the mixture is well mixed and hot, it is ready to be served. Serve in small glasses or mugs.