However, you can also make a more refined (and surprisingly delightful!) version of sage tea with the recipe below. It combines fresh sage leaves with lemon and a bit of sugar.
A naturally caffeine-free drink, sage tea can be enjoyed hot or iced anytime in the day or night.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: Three to four servings
- 1/2 oz fresh sage leaves (roughly 45 leaves; most commercially pre-packaged herbs come in a 3/4 ounce size in the grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (1 ounce)
- 1/4 oz grated or thinly peeled lemon rind (about 1.5 tsp grated or 1 tbsp thinly peeled, or the zest/peel of one large lemon)
- Juice from one lemon (about 3 tbsp)
- 1 quart (4 cups) water
- While preparing the other ingredients, bring the water to a boil.
- Keep water at a simmer and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Allow to steep for 20 to 30 minutes, or to taste, stirring occasionally.
- Strain out the sage leaves and serve hot, or chill and then serve iced.